[Gloucs] email problems

gloucs@mailman.lug.org.uk gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Sep 29 01:42:01 2002

--qlTNgmc+xy1dBmNv

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 12:47:45AM +0100, Francis Barton wrote:
> I'm trying to get mutt set up with fetchmail and sendmail - dead simple,
> just a single-user machine.
> A few questions as I am not having any luck and the few bits of advice I
> have found on the web have seemed really complicated, stuff like IP
> masquerading or somesuch.
>=20
> OK, I'm running fetchmail with a basic .fetchmailrc which I'm sure is fin=
e,
> fetchmail -kv shows all the mail coming in. My question: where does it go?
If you type 'mail', rather than mutt, does it show your email?  That
might help determine if it is mutt or fetchmail that is the problem.  It
might also help if you posted your .fetchmailrc file, but hide any
passwords that are in it first.

Which user are you running fetchmail as?

> Apparently I then need sendmail to get my mail (this is crazy - there must
> be a simpler way. Why can't fetchmail fetch mail and let sendmail send it=
?)
No it is simple - fetchmail to fetch it and sendmail to send it.

> I have tried to configure sendmail using YaST but I think I need to do so=
me
I use webmin to configure it, you might try that.

> Also, is it true that root can't get email using fetchmail - it has to be
I am not aware of this.

> seems bizarre, if true. I have tried getting email as root and as fb, but=
 no
Log on as root
  mail fb
	<type some stuff>

	log on as fb
	mail

Does this show any email has been received by fb?

It is worth trying.  The first *major* customising I did in Linux was
configuring email and i now have a nice multi user system that fetches
all email from my isp, post it to various family members accounts, which
some of them even access from Windows.  It was frustrating at times, but
a nice feeling of accomplishment when I (finally) got it working.

Cheers

Steve

--=20

(o<	www.stevesearle.com