[Gloucs] Linux information

Dave Addison gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 1 19:35:01 2003

This is a PGP signed message sent according to RFC3156 [PGP/MIME]

--=_Turnpike_rnPYjPBRsdi+4LEA=

In message <200304010909.44690.sean@abacus.co.uk>, Sean Keane=20
<sean@abacus.co.uk> writes
>Some time around Monday 31 Mar 2003 15:47, Paul Spencer slipped on a keybo=
ard
>and came up with:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Could you inform me of the benifits/disadvatages of using Linux
>> client/Linux server over windows.
>
>No, not easily.  It depends a lot on what server applications (and indeed =
what
>client software) you want.  It also depends a lot on what you're using it/=
them
>for.  It pains me to say it, but a linux solution is not always the answer.

Unless you have access to Microsoft's educational/charitable discounts,=20
it will be a lot cheaper to use Linux on a server.
>> Which Linux software would be best to use on a client/server i.e.
>> redhat/mandrak etc.
>
>OK, firstly Redhat, Mandrake et al are what we call distributions, not just
>software packages.  They come with a kernel (sometimes several), which is
>your basic OS, and heaps of both client and server software depending on
>which.
>
>So first, a question, and appologies if it's condescending...
>
>Do you know the difference between a client and a server?
>
>> Also what Linux software would be required for a client/server system
>> package i.e. email, word etc.
If you're running Linux on clients OpenOffice is as good as anything. If=20
you're running Windows on clients OpenOffice is as good as anything.=20
Kmail and Evolution are standard email clients. Basically keep trying=20
till you find one you like, it's not going to cost you anything.

>Um... OK, word processors are generally workstation apps, not server, alth=
ough
>that's possible too.  Perhaps, I'm thinking, you consider a server to be
>like the Windows Terminal Server edition? Hrm...  It could be done... both
>ways...
>
>> Is it possible to connect a windows client to a Linux server and how wou=
ld
>> this be achieved.
>
>Yes, and depends what you want to do with it.

Standard software for file and print sharing is Samba. This will handle=20
domain logins, roaming profiles, file and printer sharing and is fairly=20
indistinguishable from a Windows NT4 server to a windows client
>> How would you implement a system with a Linux server which
>> includes the firewall software and email software and a windows server u=
sed
>> for applications.
>
>Most linux distributions have a packet filter (ipchains/iptables) built in.
>It's a basic firewall on a sockets level.  i.e. it doesn't take note of the
>application, just what it's doing and how.
>
>> Would the client retrieve emails trough the Linux server or would they
>> retrieve the emails through the windows server.
>
>However you prefer.  Again, most linux distributions have at least one mail
>server built in, usually several.  Email can be stored, used locally,
>forwarded to your windows box, whatever.

Again, if you're looking at Exchange on Windows, Linux is going to save=20
you a lot of money. Exchange will also force you to use active directory=20
on the server. You'll need to install one of the better mail servers to=20
access things like shared diaries form Outlook though.
>> Also is it possible to protect a windows server from security risks like
>> email and firewall with a Linux server. Also how would this be implement=
ed.

>Yes, but it's way to complicated for an email.
>However, if you had f'rinstance, a spare box (eg. old P166) doing nothing,=
 it
>could be installed with linux, without the pretty GUIs and so forth, but w=
ith
>iptables and routing enabled.  I would also suggest this be your "gateway"=
 box
>- which would be the dial-up machine if you were on a modem.  The combinat=
ion
>of firewall rules and routing rules could be set (actually easier to do th=
an
>to describe) so that nothing from the outside ever finds your windows box.
>Of course, this won't protect it from vulnerabilities started inside... eg=
, a
>programme carrying a trojan that tunnels out rather than in...

I've got a Linux box set up feeding to Windows clients. It filters mail=20
for viruses and spam before forwarding it. There are at least three=20
different mail transfer programs capable of doing this.
>Anyway, this is getting long and I haven't had my coffee yet so...
>
>1. Linux and Windows will co-habit on a network happily enough in any
>combination of clients and servers.
>2. There is linux software available (usually supplied in the box) equival=
ent
>to most of the office applications you use.  I suggest looking at
>www.openoffice.org for one example that will run on both linux and windows.
>3. Linux is very well adapted to server operations, and as you've probably
>read, is getting popular on the desktop too.  You would probably not need a
>windows box with it, but note I said probably.  You'd need to relearn a lot
>of stuff - simple stuff maybe, but...
>4. As with all firewall applications, it's only as secure as the rule set.
>5. As with Windows, Linux is only secure if you keep it up to date... at l=
east
>the applications you use.
>
>Basically, I'd suggest you come along to one of our meetings (Cross Keys,
>Barnwood Rd, Gloucester, 4th Tuesday of t'month) and speak to people.  We
>don't bite... well, not all of us anyway.

--=20
Dave Addison

--=_Turnpike_rnPYjPBRsdi+4LEA=

--=_Turnpike_rnPYjPBRsdi+4LEA=--