[Gloucs] Linux information

Mark gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 1 20:21:01 2003

> Most linux distributions have a packet filter (ipchains/iptables) built in.
> It's a basic firewall on a sockets level.  i.e. it doesn't take note of the
> application, just what it's doing and how.
>
> > Would the client retrieve emails trough the Linux server or would they
> > retrieve the emails through the windows server.
>
> However you prefer.  Again, most linux distributions have at least one mail
> server built in, usually several.  Email can be stored, used locally,
> forwarded to your windows box, whatever.
>
> > Also is it possible to protect a windows server from security risks like
> > email and firewall with a Linux server. Also how would this be
> > implemented.
>
> Yes, but it's way to complicated for an email.
> However, if you had f'rinstance, a spare box (eg. old P166) doing nothing,
> it could be installed with linux, without the pretty GUIs and so forth, but
> with iptables and routing enabled.  I would also suggest this be your
> "gateway" box - which would be the dial-up machine if you were on a modem.
> The combination of firewall rules and routing rules could be set (actually
> easier to do than to describe) so that nothing from the outside ever finds
> your windows box. Of course, this won't protect it from vulnerabilities
> started inside... eg, a programme carrying a trojan that tunnels out rather
> than in...

If it requires connection back in you'd be ok, but worms etc once in that
arent after doing any talking they could spread...

> Anyway, this is getting long and I haven't had my coffee yet so...

> Basically, I'd suggest you come along to one of our meetings (Cross Keys,
> Barnwood Rd, Gloucester, 4th Tuesday of t'month) and speak to people.  We
> don't bite... well, not all of us anyway.

Oh a slur on my g**d name!

Paul, I would add that the amount of information that you asked for, whilst
each question in its own right being perfectly reasonable.. is also somewhat
lengthy to write in reply and also very dependant on the scale of environment
etc...

Like Sean said, come along, have a glass of water (pure or distilled) and ask
away.. We may be odd.. but we love it. (I do not speak for the group, just in
this case for the voices in the head..)

cheers,
Mark