[Gloucs] Mac OS X

John McKeown gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 25 22:47:01 2003

> did you want to cover OSX/Unix stuff at the meetings
> and/or did you mean you want to approach them (unix groups etc)
> to promote Linux or what?

My thought was that many of the topics we plan to cover e.g.=20
shell scripting, mysql, php, perl, TeX, security, would be of interest=20
to some Mac users, from ones who are just thinking "Hmm here's
Unix 'under the hood', what can I do with this command-line?"
to those who've heard about Open Source via their Mac.

One thing that prompted me was I'd been troubled that the last of=20
the old Unix boxes at University died recently - but then I thought=20
"Hey there are lots of Macs at the Art&Design campus".

And as you say, OS X does have open source connections:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

http://maccentral.macworld.com/opensource.php

http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0724.macx_p.html
"It is time to welcome the Mac community into the general=20
Unix and open source movements"

regards,
John McKeown