[Gloucs] scsi/ide burner

Dave Addison dave at redmoor.org.uk
Mon Dec 1 20:50:38 GMT 2003

In message <1070216800.560.5.camel at linstation.rebelbase>, Guy Edwards
<guy_j_edwards at HotPOP.com> writes
>On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 17:32, Iain Calder wrote:
>[snip]
>> Link /dev/cdrom to /dev/sr0 and have 'hda=ide-scsi' in lilo.conf and it
>> should work fine.
>
>...no luck yet. running lilo gives an error with the 'hda' and also
>mentions something about devfs which I've added in but the message still
>appears.
>
>$> mount /cdrom
>mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
>$> ls -l /dev/cdrom
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Nov 30 18:02 /dev/cdrom ->
>/dev/sr0
>$> ls -l /dev/sr0
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Nov 22 18:45 /dev/sr0 -> scd0
>$> ls -l /dev/scd0
>brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     11,   0 Mar 14  2002 /dev/scd0
>
>In lilo.conf:
>
>image=/vmlinuz
>        initrd=/initrd.img
>        label=Linux
>        read-only
>        hda=ide-scsi
>        devfs=mount
>
>running lilo:
>$> lilo
>Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure.
>    Name change: '/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc' -> '/dev/sda'
>    The kernel was compiled with DEVFS_FS, but 'devfs=mount' was omitted
>        as a kernel command-line boot parameter; hence, the '/dev' directory
>        structure does not reflect DEVFS_FS device names.
>Unrecognized token "hda" at or above line 115 in file '/etc/lilo.conf'
>
>Guy

I'd try adding devfs=mount as a lilo parameter. It looks like the system
is trying to use devfs instead of the old /dev file structure. This
should create the necessary node names for your devices on the fly (it's
a similar idea to the /proc filesystem) but getting it to work with the
old device names is a bit of a nightmare IIRC. I seem to remember it
involved running a userspace daemon which recreated the necessary links
in the dynamic filesystem every time the system booted.
--
Dave Addison