[Gloucs] scsi/ide burner

Guy Edwards guy_j_edwards at HotPOP.com
Mon Dec 1 22:39:01 GMT 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 20:42, Dave Addison wrote:
[snip]
> I'd try adding devfs=mount as a lilo parameter. It looks like the system
> is trying to use devfs instead of the old /dev file structure. This
> should create the necessary node names for your devices on the fly (it's
> a similar idea to the /proc filesystem) but getting it to work with the
> old device names is a bit of a nightmare IIRC. I seem to remember it
> involved running a userspace daemon which recreated the necessary links
> in the dynamic filesystem every time the system booted.

hmm. I just tried that before getting your email... I did a google
search for devfs=mount and found someone on the kernel mailing list
advising not to use it but I just thought I'd give it a try anyway...

image=/vmlinuz
        initrd=/initrd.img
        label=Linux
        read-only
        append="hda=ide-scsi devfs=mount"

when I rebooted Linux did a lot of complaining when booting and then I
had to log in for maintenance. /dev folder structure was completly
different

I found the two hard drives at
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/ (part1 , part2 etc)
and
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/

I was feeling cowardly and so backed out as things seemed largly broken.
I used the debian cd1 as a rescue disc and edited and fixed lilo.conf
back to what it was and noticed while using the debian disc that I could
mount the cdrom drive as /dev/hda . I thought all the problems must be
over and it'd be working again, but when I booted up the normal system
it was gone again.

anyway, now my lilo.conf looks like:
image=/vmlinuz
        initrd=/initrd.img
        label=Linux
        read-only
        append="hda=ide-scsi"
but still no joy. (scd0 or hda)

Is there anything else I could try?

Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards at HotPOP.com>