[Gloucs] Linux demo CD

David Greenaway david.greenaway at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Dec 30 18:04:46 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 10:05, Mark Trotman wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking for help with regard to Linux demo's. I have spent the last
> two days downloading and burning ISO's but have been unable to get
> either Gnoppix or Knoppix to run correctly and I am now awash with
> coasters!
>
> Does anyone have a working CD that I can borrow so that I can demo Linux
> to my father? He doesn't want to install anything yet, so it has to be
> something I can just drop into his CD and run. I really don't mind which
>   distro it is at this point in time.

<snip>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> TIA

I've just installed MEPIS (another deban based bootable CD so it may well give
you the same trouble as Knoppix) on my wife's centrino laptop, it did a
better job of hardware detection that all the other distros I tried. It's
also got a rather nice feature of allowing an easy install onto the hard disk
after trying it out from the CD. Happy to burn another CD an pop it in post,
however it strikes me that a 95 box may well not have the 128megs of RAM that
this wants as a minimum.

Probably not much help :(

David Greenaway