[Gloucs] no response from keyboard

Paul Broadhead gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Feb 15 22:09:01 2003

"Dan Hanman" <dan@moskito.co.uk> wrote:

> Im new to the list so hello everyone.

Hello to you too.

> I have been trying to install redhat 7.3 and 8.0 on my pc, which is:
>
> Athlon 700,
> 256 133mhz RAM,
> via nmc-7va motherboard,
> 16MB TNT2 Graphics card,
> standard PS2 Keyboard and mouse.
>
> The installs of redhat goes fine (both versions), I install via text mode
> and the keyboard works fine. The box then reboots after finishing the
> install. When Linux gets to the shell prompt for me to login I get no
> response at all from the keyboard. Nothing. so I put on a serial adapter on
> the ps2 keyboard and put that on the box, but still nothing. I can ping the
> box, but cannot ssh/telnet to it. I have also tried changing to the default
> bios settings and optimised setting but made no difference.

Sounds very strange.  The fact that you can ping suggests he box is
otherwise OK.  I think not being able to telnet/ssh is normal as its
disabled by default.  Does this fail with a message that the connection
was refused or does the connect just time out?  I believe if the box is
working otherwise, it should refuse the connect rather than time out.

Have you tried rebooting from install CDs in rescue mode?  If that works
you could have a look around at the settings.  The keyboard stuff can be
found in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard but the rescue boot puts your root into
sysimage or some such (it does tell you).  You may be able to force a
reconfiguration of the keyboard at the next boot but I don't now how to
do that....  If you can rescue boot, you should be able to setup telnet/ssh.

Anyone else with any ideas?

Paul

P.S. my /etc/sysconfig/keyboard  (Redhat 8.0) says:

KEYBOARDTYPE="pc"
KEYTABLE="uk"