[Gloucs] Calling all grub experts

Brian Wilkinson gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Feb 16 20:12:01 2003

Hi folks, yet again I am stuck and in need of some assistance.

Heres the scenario. /dev/hda has one windows partion (that's more than en=
ough)=20
and redhat 8 across /, /boot, /usr/local and /home. /dev/hdb had nothing =
much=20
on it until this afternoon when I had a moment to give Yoper a try.=20
Installation was straight forward enough, and instead of creating a boot =
disk=20
I opted to edit grub (already installed with redhat 8) to boot yoper for =
me.=20
The new kernel boots up a treat, but then /dev/hda (ie redhat 8) is boote=
d=20
with the yoper kernel. My grub.conf looks like this ...

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this fi=
le
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=3D/dev/hda4
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=3D/dev/hda
default=3D0
timeout=3D10
splashimage=3D(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
=09root (hd0,0)
=09kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=3DLABEL=3D/ hdd=3Dide-scsi
=09initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img
title Win98
=09rootnoverify (hd0,1)
=09chainloader +1
title yoper
=09root (hd1,4)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20 ro root=3DLABEL=3D/ hdd=3Dide-scsi
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20.img

If anyone could sort me out on this one I would be grateful.

Brian Wilkinson