[Gloucs] February's Presentation

William Roe gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Feb 23 22:18:01 2003

On Saturday, Feb 15, 2003, at 23:06 Europe/London, Mark wrote:

> Ok the current agenda is (probably) going to look like this:
>
> What is security?
> Personal Security
> Operating System Security, (including buffer over/underruns)
> Common Services and their vulnerabilities (obviously not all of them)
> Common Attacks
> Viruses (maybe at the end depending on time and peoples boredom
> tolerance.)
> Tools.
> websites
>
> Post Talk:
> Well, I'll make sure to have a getaway car ready..
>
> I Intend to bring current (as well as yet to be released) code to the
>  evening, there wont be copies handed out (have to wait a while), but
>  snippets will be browseable. I will also endeavour to remember to
> bring a
>  copy/copies of last years Defcon presentations for anyone who is
>  interrested.

Sound good. By 'snippets will be browseable' what do you mean? are you
bringing
it on a laptop, on paper (surely not!) or encrypted form (lol).

If this code happens to be on a wireless enabled laptop, then maybe,
sftp access to it?
I say this 'cause I will be bringing a wireless-savy laptop, of course
;)

Any finally - what code? We talking IDSs, firewall code or some new
stuff?

> Ofcourse this is ALL limited to time so I will make sure I have my
> floppy
> drive with me for anyone who wants a copy of the presentation to take
> home

Don't have a floppy drive. Oh no, I lie - there is one in that 'puter I
don't tend to
use very often. Shouldn't we all be using USB key drives (read: fast
transfer so
everything can feasibly be encrypted)?

> and browse at leisure just for the eventuality that my attention span
> wanders
> and we skip the less interresting parts.
>
> People with thoughts (preferably on-topic ones, but i dont mind
> irrelevant
> ones) please reply or drop me a mail. If there is anything that anyone
> else
> would want covered do not hesitate to let me know.

Perhaps some mention of a security/practicality ratio, some sort of
benchmark
for how secure we should all be at the moment and how this might change
in the future (no I don't mean quantum cryptography or anything, just
the ever
increasing increase in key strength/CPU speed sort of thing) ...maybe...