[Gloucs] I-WORM/Opas.A - FIREWALLS

bjh gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 2 10:37:01 2003

*** Response
*******************************
----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Edwards" <guy_j_edwards@hotpop.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 9:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Gloucs] I-WORM/Opas.A - FIREWALLS

> On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 20:12, Mark wrote:
> > *ahem* *cough* Network Associates->McAfee do a top notch virus scanner
> > for windows (enquire within).
> >
> > right now i've said that, there are plenty of free ones out there
(suggest
> > look @ Guys links)
>
> Go on, tell. How does the McAfee one work in practice? I heard it
> mentioned before elsewhere but I thought I'd wait to see if anyone on
> the list was using it and was going to come forward. It's a cron timed
> scanner isn't it rather than an on-demand? I've not heard very much.
*******************************
*** Oh dear - afraid my eyes have started to smart - guaranteed to happen
whenever I see the three words - McAfee, Norton and Symantic...
Joking aside, during my many years of computer experience, I have watched
the three BRANDS being developed  on an international basis with immense
success - unfortunately the PRODUCT development seems to have been lost
along the way - often the case when Dollars and £Pounds come into the
frame - a great shame!

I think we all have our favourite products, but the important thing with any
virus system is the continued revision as new virus strains come into the
world, and the fast availability of the virus patches to the system users,
(and it goes without saying that the user has to play his/her part by
regularly updating their systems with new patches - it is amazing the number
of people who buy the box of tricks (nicely packaged on the shelf!), and
then wonder why they get hit with a virus attack three months down the line
not having downloaded the suppliers updates!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, my experience of Norton, Symantic, and McAfee, is that the
time lag with the provision of the patches and the lack of response to
problems from the companies support (???) staff, is such that, AVG, (even
the FREE variant) produced by Grisoft,
http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm?session=a2e092bfc7d41aa2a47ce75a635
5417f  , have grown incredibly quickly ,due to their speed of action and
weekly provision of FREE updates via a very simple user friendly interface
which enables the user to time set an autorun at any convenient time of day
or night... The other smart ability is to be able to carry out a full Dos
root virus check and removal - which was required with Opas, OpasA, and
OpasF, the three variants that hit our systems at the same time...

I have suggested the use of AVG to countless numbers of persons using our
other three friends mentioned above, to get them out of trouble and get
their businesses back on track quickly, and never ever received a complaint
from the users, in fact, without exception, AVG has done the trick, even
when other manufacturers products have been knocked out by specific virus
attacks, running AVG has got them out of trouble...