[Gloucs] I-WORM/Opas.A - FIREWALLS

Mark gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 2 11:16:01 2003

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, bjh wrote:

> *** Response
> Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 9:00 PM
> Subject: Re: [Gloucs] I-WORM/Opas.A - FIREWALLS
>

> > On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 20:12, Mark wrote:
> > > *ahem* *cough* Network Associates->McAfee do a top notch virus scanne=
> > > for windows (enquire within).
> > >
> > > right now i've said that, there are plenty of free ones out there
> (suggest
> > > look @ Guys links)
> >
> > Go on, tell. How does the McAfee one work in practice? I heard it
> > mentioned before elsewhere but I thought I'd wait to see if anyone on
> > the list was using it and was going to come forward. It's a cron timed
> > scanner isn't it rather than an on-demand? I've not heard very much.
> *******************************
> *** Oh dear - afraid my eyes have started to smart - guaranteed to happen
> whenever I see the three words - McAfee, Norton and Symantic...
> Joking aside, during my many years of computer experience, I have watched
> the three BRANDS being developed  on an international basis with immense
> success - unfortunately the PRODUCT development seems to have been lost

I know, they really should have kept PGP employees and associates on
board, thats where McAfee went wrong really. *ahem*

> along the way - often the case when Dollars and =A3Pounds come into the
> frame - a great shame!
>
> I think we all have our favourite products, but the important thing with =
any
> virus system is the continued revision as new virus strains come into the
> world, and the fast availability of the virus patches to the system users=
,
> (and it goes without saying that the user has to play his/her part by
> regularly updating their systems with new patches - it is amazing the num=
ber
> of people who buy the box of tricks (nicely packaged on the shelf!), and
> then wonder why they get hit with a virus attack three months down the li=
ne
> not having downloaded the suppliers updates!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Unfortunately, my experience of Norton, Symantic, and McAfee, is that the

Every thursday lunchtime (GMT) the latest dat is available.

> time lag with the provision of the patches and the lack of response to
> problems from the companies support (???) staff, is such that, AVG, (even
> the FREE variant) produced by Grisoft,
> http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm?session=3Da2e092bfc7d41aa2a47ce7=
5a635
> 5417f  , have grown incredibly quickly ,due to their speed of action and
> weekly provision of FREE updates via a very simple user friendly interfac=
> which enables the user to time set an autorun at any convenient time of d=
ay
> or night... The other smart ability is to be able to carry out a full Dos
> root virus check and removal - which was required with Opas, OpasA, and
> OpasF, the three variants that hit our systems at the same time...
>
> I have suggested the use of AVG to countless numbers of persons using our
> other three friends mentioned above, to get them out of trouble and get
> their businesses back on track quickly, and never ever received a complai=
nt
> from the users, in fact, without exception, AVG has done the trick, even
> when other manufacturers products have been knocked out by specific virus
> attacks, running AVG has got them out of trouble...
> **********************************
> >
> > > Ok, sorry Guy i wont turn into an advertisement.
> >
> > Nah plug it :-) Might as well tell what your company does. Is your
> > website down by the way? Trying security-foundation.net (or www.) I get
> > redirected to http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/
> ***********************************
> *** True - tried the link from the LUG last night and got the same -
> although of course it may be the LUG link to the site is faulty... worth
> looking at...
> ***********************************

No its not faulty, just Myself and my associates have minor issues with
clients coming to us 4 months after we write policies for them saying "you
said that if we didnt fix 'x y or z' something would go wrong for us, and
last month 'x y or z' went wrong and so its your fault, we want our money
back." .... oh the humanity. SO basically, now working practices are back
up I am awaiting contact from other members and I imagine we shall resort
to redirecting to rither vulndev, packetstorm, NAI or security focus
(depending on who wins the "i want the hits" arguement really)

cheers,
Mark