[Gloucs] OpenOffice.org bug

Mick Brooks gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 5 16:00:01 2003

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 02:49:34PM +0000, Mark wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Brian Wilkinson wrote:
>
> > If anyone could guide me to a fix on this it would save whats left of my hair.

<snip>

> > Finally I tried 'gdb soffice.bin', ran it and when it crashed did a 'where'.
>
> How are you running the app ? with the /path/to/soffice or with a
> shortcut?
>
> > The output is ...
> >
> > #0  0x45586834 in ?? ()

<snip lots of question marks>

> > #60 0x420158d4 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
> > (gdb)
>
> is this the step it fails at? If so, try installing openoffice, from the
> sources to a local , user owned directory... I havent installed it as a
> system wide option before (mainly because no other users on my systems
> need it)

I'm no debugging expert, but this looks like a backtrace, and so the current
function is at the top - __libc_start_main() was called first - which sorta
makes sense. All the unhelpful ?? imply that the program was compiled
without debugging symbols included - so gdb may not be the way to go (unless
you fancy compiling openoffice from scratch!)

> if the call is failing at the libc you could try updating your glib and
> glibc ... but as i say, you shouldnt need to.

I don't think glibc needs touching.

Maybe strace would be more helpful than gdb? I find that usually points me
in the right direction. I think I've had config file troubles with OO before...

--
Mick Brooks
michael.brooks@physics.ox.ac.uk