[Gloucs] [ot] sourceforge website

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 02:30:00 2003

Drunk too much coffee so I've come to check email.....

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 00:01, bjh wrote:
> *** Your problem here is that the search engine robots will in all
> probability ignore this and not pick up the graphic.

Ok, if I was competing for search engine ranking, I would follow your
advice there.

> *** The older browsers are only reliable with the three fonts I mentioned
> above - later browsers will give a much greater range of fonts...

I looked it up.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/css2em.htm

"Always specify a fallback generic font"

"Realize that your document will end up on systems that have different
fonts. CSS specifies five so-called generic fonts which are guaranteed
to exist in all browsers: serif , sans-serif , monospace , cursive and
fantasy . When specifying a font families in CSS you have the option of
supplying a list to increase the chance of finding a specified font at
the user's system. The last font family in the list should always be a
generic font. So: always specify a fallback generic font . This book,
e.g. , has been set in "Gill Sans." But not everybody has a copy of that
font, so we actually specified the font as

BODY { font-family: "Gill Sans", sans-serif }"

> *** Times New Roman is one of the three main original fonts for the purpose
> we are talking about - perhaps OpenOffice aren't too worried about the older
> browsers...
> *******************************

Use of Times New Roman in your app requires a licensing fee to Monotype
if I've Googled correctly. Could be why OpenOffice doesn't have it and
presumably Star Office does. I'm guessing Konqueror and Mozilla will be
substituting then unless someones paid up.

http://www.truetype.demon.co.uk/articles/times.htm
"The outcome of all of the legal maneuverings is that Linotype and its
licensees like Adobe and Apple continue to use the name "Times Roman",
while Monotype and its licensees like Microsoft use the name "Times New
Roman"."

> *** My email to you covers Google in greater detail - other site links to
> your own particular site are also crucial with the Google ranking mechanism
> and reports about this are only now slowly filtering out into the market
> place - the Google Founders originated this method of ranking...

Yep, all was interesting stuff.

> *** http://www.freefoto.com/
> http://creative.gettyimages.com/photodisc/
> http://www.freeimages.co.uk/
> http://www.istockphoto.com/
> http://www.freestockphotos.com/

cheers dude... I'll check them out tomorrow....

Guy