[Gloucs] [ot] sourceforge website

bjh gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 11:21:02 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Edwards" <guy_j_edwards@hotpop.com>
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 2:15 AM
Subject: Re: [Gloucs] [ot] sourceforge website

> Drunk too much coffee so I've come to check email.....
>
> On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 00:01, bjh wrote:
> > *** Your problem here is that the search engine robots will in all
> > probability ignore this and not pick up the graphic.
>
> Ok, if I was competing for search engine ranking, I would follow your
> advice there.
>
> > *** The older browsers are only reliable with the three fonts I
mentioned
> > above - later browsers will give a much greater range of fonts...
>
> I looked it up.
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/css2em.htm
>
> "Always specify a fallback generic font"
>
> "Realize that your document will end up on systems that have different
> fonts. CSS specifies five so-called generic fonts which are guaranteed
> to exist in all browsers: serif , sans-serif , monospace , cursive and
> fantasy . When specifying a font families in CSS you have the option of
> supplying a list to increase the chance of finding a specified font at
> the user's system. The last font family in the list should always be a
> generic font. So: always specify a fallback generic font . This book,
> e.g. , has been set in "Gill Sans." But not everybody has a copy of that
> font, so we actually specified the font as
>
> BODY { font-family: "Gill Sans", sans-serif }"
>
> > *** Times New Roman is one of the three main original fonts for the
purpose
> > we are talking about - perhaps OpenOffice aren't too worried about the
older
> > browsers...
> > *******************************
>
> Use of Times New Roman in your app requires a licensing fee to Monotype
> if I've Googled correctly. Could be why OpenOffice doesn't have it and
> presumably Star Office does. I'm guessing Konqueror and Mozilla will be
> substituting then unless someones paid up.
>
> http://www.truetype.demon.co.uk/articles/times.htm
> "The outcome of all of the legal maneuverings is that Linotype and its
> licensees like Adobe and Apple continue to use the name "Times Roman",
> while Monotype and its licensees like Microsoft use the name "Times New
> Roman"."

***** Interesting stuff, I did the research a few years ago when the older
browsers were the only ones available, obviously at that point in time - I
got interested in this subject matter when I started to look at the default
fonts in the various email programmes of the period, and of course the
adoption of Times New Roman by Microsoft became an interesting bench mark.
I would still stick to the three base fonts I mentioned, using Arial for
"copy" due to its clarity on screen...

***** Speak to you again... BJH