[Gloucs] my learning

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 14:21:59 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 13:29, Charlie Markwick wrote:
> I am conscious that my time for learning of Linux is too sporadic. Is there
> anyone on the list who would be able and willing to offer me a day's tuition
> based here in Gloucester (paid of course) to improve my knowledge?

Just while you're waiting for someone to volunteer...

(just ignore this if you know it all already)

The LPI 101 sylibus is really good at filling in the gaps in what you
know. (well, it seems to be for me) IBM do a free downloadable revision
guide and there's even a guide to the resources on the web available at
your local LUG site :-)

http://www.gloucs.lug.org.uk/articles/lpi_revision.html

Most of it's Unix command line stuff which doesn't seem relevant to all
the modern  GUI programs but as you learn more you find yourself using
the command line to automate tasks (write a bash script or two) and make
you life easier.

Other than that.. having an actual problem you want to solve makes
learning faster too, like wanting to burn a CD or rip mp3s or get files
shared with windows on a network. You could make a list of all the
things you want to be able to do (specific tasks) and then work through
them using Google to find resources as you tackle each one. Every time
you find yourself using a command or utility or concept you're unsure of
or don't know much about, look up the background behind it on the net so
that you learn all the gaps and then you'll always know why you need to
perform x,y and z to achieve a. ...hmm maybe I should follow my own
advise, I haven't done any 101 revision in ages.

Guy