[Gloucs] [ot] sourceforge website

Will Roe gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 19:49:00 2003

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 07:14:14PM -0000 or thereabouts, bjh wrote:
> +++ Response
> Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 3:14 PM
> Subject: Re: [Gloucs] [ot] sourceforge website
>=20
>=20
> > On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 11:27, bjh wrote:
> > > ***** You have to be careful using Java code if you are looking to at=
tract
> > > the blind user - but I think Sun Systems started to market a Plug In =
for the
> > > blind user - could be wrong on this - Java code can be so useful to s=
top
> > > aspects of site theft of graphics etc...
> > > ****************************************************
> >=20
> > Really petty point here - that was Javascript not Java. They are very
> > different (completely - honest).
>=20
> +++ Correct - I really use the word Java as a cover heading for both Java=
 and Javascript
> >=20
> > Stopping theft of graphics is server side I would think though, so
> > perhaps you mean Java there? (but you can use Javascript on the server
> > too can't you?) I don't have any experience of this but I understand you
> > use the http referer reference or something similar?
>=20
> +++ A typical piece of code to insert (Cut & Paste this script... this in=
formation goes
> right under the HEAD in the HTML area of your webpage - the message can b=
e altered to read whatever you want to say....)
>   in a web page to stop right click copying of site graphics is:
>=20

This is BAD. What the hell did you put it on the web for in the first
place? Loads of people have jscript disabled so that is no protection
- you're just using up some parsing power of the browser (and if it's
poor IE, you have to be kind).

I'm affraid once the client has loaded the web page, cached the images
etc, you'd be denying access to data that is rightfully theirs...on
their own hard drives. NO.

> <head>
>=20
> <script language=3D"JavaScript"> <!--
> // No rightclick script v.2.5
> // (c) 1998 barts1000
> // barts1000@aol.com
> // Don't delete this header!
>=20
> var message=3D"Sorry, that function is disabled.\n\nContents & Graphics C=
opyright ?your name\nOur work is not Public Domain, and should NOT be taken=
 from this site."; // Message for the alert box