[Gloucs] Re: Web site building and ranking

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 20:16:00 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 19:03, bjh wrote:
> +++ Oh dear, problem here is you have now entered the problem of
> "spamming" the search engine

oh darn, scratch that for now then.

> Mark Lewis still fails to respond to my messages - the last one being
> mid December 2002!!! (smile)

Did he reply when you forwarded that Nessus report I did on the old LUG
server Francis? :-)

> +++ I think you are completely missing the point - it is not about "ranking",
> it is all about people putting different combinations of words
> together in search engine boxes in an attempt to get hold of the
> information you are providing!!! If you have not got the pages
> structured and worded correctly, they will never find you...

I think they've got plenty of content and they're doing fine with the
search engines.

> +++ To judge from most of the messages between members, most relate to help with problems -
> are we now saying we don't want to help anyone now???

Of course not. I'm saying the current descriptive tags are an accurate
refection of the site.

>  Please don't underestimate the importance of these link words...

There is no "in" in the current meta tags. We are 3rd down during a
Google search for "Linux in Gloucester"

> +++ What??? It takes seconds to put the odd misspelling in as a
> hidden meta tag with your other essential keywords!!!

When I have time I might add some words (I'll take out the duplicate
Linux ones at the same time) but I'm not filling it up with every word
imaginable.

http://www.apache.org/ not a single search tag
http://www.samba.org/ same again

These sites do ok in the search engines, I'm not going to panic on this
one.

Guy