[Gloucs] ot gpl'd windows

Iain Calder gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 31 22:11:02 2003

Guy Edwards wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Not really a Linux question..... I've been busy GPL'ing Windows 2000
>clients as much as possible and I've got the predictable question of -
>what GPL/or free software can I use on it?
>
>I've currently got: (Open Source unless marked)
>
>OpenOffice.org		-	Office suite
>Mozilla			-	Browser
>Opera (free)		-	Browser
>Netscape		-	Browser
>Lynxs			-	Text based browser
>Apache			-	Webserver
>PHP			-	Scripting
>MySQL			-	Database
>GIMP			-	Art
>GTKlibs			-	For gimp
>Putty 			-	SSH/Telnet client
>winipcap		-	lib for the network tools
>nmap			-	Port scanner
>Nessus client		-	Network investigation tool
>Ethereal		-	Packet Sniffer
>(cant remember the name)-	GPL Winzip replacement
>Java SDK + RE		-	Java environment
>vim			-	gui/command line text editor
>
>cygwin	-	wont install :-( weird crashes in install

Hmm, cygwin installed fine for me on Win2k professional and server and I
like it best for unzipping/untarring etc.

Some to add to the list:

gaim: instant messenger client)

gkrellm: performance monitor, requires GTK libs

MySQL-front: superb GUI MySQL client.  Although the project has closed
version 2.5 can still be found for download.  This is the best MySQL
tool I've ever seen.

dbTools: MySQL GUI client.  Free or commercial, but not open source

There's also Perl and Python for scripting/programming.   Python
includes full COM support with the win32 extensions.

Iain