[Gloucs] Gloucester, Presario, SuSE

Dave Elliott gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 22 21:35:01 2003

Paul,

  Thanks for the extra info - As I said, I guessed that I hadn't done it
quite right, but by that time I was in repair mode which was successful but
messy. I haven't needed to do it again, so I couldn't be sure exactly what
to do, but hoped my mistakes might give John some useful clues.

The way I did it, PM actually selects grub, which then goes through the
usual SuSE 'count up' screen - a somewhat eccentric sequence but it does
mean I can still play tricks associated with grub's configuration, which
appeals to my warped sense of fun. (Also making a boot floppy wasn't an
option in my case - no floppy drive .....)

Am I right in guessing that your suggestion will boot Linux directly from
PM? (Which is probably what most people would want!)

I also hate these 'user-friendly' restore discs which are always
troublesome - even for machines only running Windows let alone adding Linux
etc.

Regards
Dave