[Gloucs] Gloucester, Presario, SuSE

paul cooke gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 22 22:03:01 2003

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 9:35 pm, Dave Elliott wrote:
> Paul,
>
>   Thanks for the extra info - As I said, I guessed that I hadn't done it
> quite right, but by that time I was in repair mode which was successful but
> messy. I haven't needed to do it again, so I couldn't be sure exactly what
> to do, but hoped my mistakes might give John some useful clues.
>
> The way I did it, PM actually selects grub, which then goes through the
> usual SuSE 'count up' screen - a somewhat eccentric sequence but it does
> mean I can still play tricks associated with grub's configuration, which
> appeals to my warped sense of fun. (Also making a boot floppy wasn't an
> option in my case - no floppy drive .....)

same with me... no floppy on the laptop...

> Am I right in guessing that your suggestion will boot Linux directly from
> PM? (Which is probably what most people would want!)

the boot manager which comes with PM can boot SuSE directly but this boot
manager also wants a small 50 Mb FAT partition of it's own... and as you only
get so many real partitions on the one hard disk, will cause yet more hassles
for you (forces you to put your entire SuSE install inside an extended
partition).

> I also hate these 'user-friendly' restore discs which are always
> troublesome - even for machines only running Windows let alone adding Linux
> etc.

they're a pain... especially having to find the right one for each machine...