[Gloucs] CDRW Problems

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 31 13:03:01 2003

Hi Rorie,

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 21:27, Rorie Scott wrote:
> I hate to 'humanise' Linux, but this computer is temperamental! In the last 20
> minutes I have managed to mount it as user but now I can't seem to do a
> darned thing with it.

re: the cdrom.
If you stick in a music CD you shouldn't have to mount it (I thought). Even
with mandrake running in its secure mode where it doesn't mount things, you still
just fire up the cd player and it should find it. Put a CD in the drive, do nothing else
and look for a cd logo appearing in the kde taskbar bottom right. Click on it and press play.

I had a similar nightmare to the one you described with a scratched CD.
I couldn't eject it at all.

> I (try to) use K3b as my burning software. In the K3b setup it sees
> the writer, not the drive as a reader, but when it comes to burning
> it doesn't let me see the drive.

hmmm. I have the same setup but it's not a mitsumi drive.
In k3b go to "tools" and "copy". Select the reading device as the same as the
record device and it should ask you to swap cd's after reading the CD. Or do
you mean that it isn't listed as an option as a read device?

Guy