[Gloucs] Problem while installing Slackware 8.1

Alex Craddock gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jun 15 00:00:01 2003

Good news.  I have sorted out that problem it seems.  Slackware has
installed, however when it came to the login prompt, I logged in and typed
'startx'.  It came up with an error saying that it couldn't start the server
because it couldn't recognise my monitor (I think, could have been graphics
card it was a bit hard to understand).  It said though that the problem
might be if the graphics card was made after September (?) 2002 and the
version of Xfree86 wasn't the latest.  I just got a new graphics card - a
GEforce2, I don't know what Linux's support for that is like but I should
imagine it would be supported.  Help with the problem would be appreciated.
By the way, the internet also works so I was able to have a go on Lynx.  A
few questions (sorry) is there a IRC client that runs from the prompt?  How
do you enter a URL in Lynx?  Thanks.

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger