[Gloucs] Problem while installing Slackware 8.1

gloucs@mailman.lug.org.uk gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jun 15 21:29:00 2003

On a GF2 the "nv" drivers should work but you don't get no 3D acceleration
so you don't want to use them for long. Like suggested goto nvidia and d/l
the Linux drivers and change the XF86Config-4. Now trying to be helpful make
sure you don't have a XF86Config file aswell as XF86Config-4 file. I did and
it was using that (still used for compat afaik), all I had to do was delete
XF86Config and it worked fine. I also found that the standard "nv" driver
wouldn't work with my GF4 and I had to use the proper nvidia driver before X
would start.
Another possible thing I can think off is screen size and refresh rate.
Although your hardware can handle it the crappy nv driver might not. So if
you can't get em with Lynx use Windows and then mount the drive in Linux to
copy over.

Just the problems I came across with Debian so your mileage may vary :)