[Gloucs] Problem while installing Slackware 8.1

Paul Broadhead gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jun 15 17:33:01 2003

Francis Barton <fbarton@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> <tangent>
> It's funny, when someone like me converts over from Microsoft, and
> struggles to get used to Linux, you keep using Windows for a while, because
> you're used to it. You know what does what. You keep wanting to really
> _use_ Linux as opposed to just trying to fix problems all the time, but all
> your real work stays on Windows. You keep wanting to be like the wonderful
> technical successful people on the mailing list who understand it all.
> These people don't really exist, however, but it helps you to remain a
> shameful and guilty MS-user in your own mind.
>
> But after a while, you get on top of the glitches and start to use Linux
> properly and you find you have learnt a lot from all your mistakes and
> trials. And after a bit longer you find you're just de facto using Linux
> all the time as a perfectly usable and featureful desktop and you don't
> even have to think about it. For me that process took about 18 months (I
> had a lot of problems!) but it is definitely worth it.
> </tangent>

That was really beautiful Francis, no really, I'm not taking the Micky Bliss.

Well done Alex persevering with the install.  I must say, its usually
much simpler than that though I've never tried Slackware.  I have two
machines with Gforce 2 cards and they work a treat.  nvidia provide
great support for 3d acceleration but the cards should work out of the
box unaccelerated.

Regards,
Paul