[Gloucs] ADSL (at last)

Steve Searle gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 18 20:33:00 2003

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh

Around 09:52pm on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 (UK time), Steve Searle scrawled:

> BT are converting Hucclecote exchange for ADSL at last, so I should be
> able to move off my dial-up modem next month.  I use IPCop to protect my
> small home network - does anyone have any thoughts or experience as to
> what sort of ADSL modem, router, etc. should work best.
>=20
Thanks for all the feedback  - its the most popular thread I've ever
started :-)

To widen the question - it looks as if price-wise the best option would
be to go for a "wires only" setup, probably Demon Express Solo and buy
an ADSL modem/router to attach to my IPCop box.  A modem would need to
attache via Ethernet - my IPCop box is pre-USB.  I am not very clear
from looking on the manufacturer's sites what the difference between an
ADSL modem and an ADSL router is - they seem to be used fairly
interchangeably.  I assume a router has its own IP addresses - one the
Internet address allocated by the ISP, and the other one in the range
used by my LAN, and can be plugged into a switch, whereas a modem just
passes the ISP allocated IP address to the PC it is attached to.

I would think either a modem or a router is fine for me, if I attache it
to the IPCop so as to take advantage of its firewall and port forwarding
capabilities.  I am thinking of using a Netgear DM602 which DSL
Warehouse describe as a single port router.

Can anyone spot any errors in my thinking - I am sure there are some.
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Steve

--=20
=20