[Gloucs] More NEC stuff

Dave Addison gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jun 27 20:28:00 2003

This is a PGP signed message sent according to RFC3156 [PGP/MIME]

--=_Turnpike_NzgRWADZpJ$+4LIs=

In message <1056612453.10030.11.camel@edtanix>, Mark <mark@vulndev.org>=20
writes
>On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 19:45, Richard Mellersh wrote:
>

>> Felt a bit conned that "loads-a-dosh" was required to hear `Maddog' Hall=
 or
>> one of the O'Reilly family - Oh well, next time perhaps.
>
>Oh dear, that is a shame, you should have spoken to Alisdair Kergen who
>was extremely helpful following an organisational "muck up" that
>happened over the free LUG tickets, so I was given a very useful pass.
>
>Maddog's talk was brilliant, and as such I will be porting a number of
>projects onto single image beowulf systems in the future.
>
>Tim O'Reilly was equally as fascinating and its a shame that you missed
>it. Lots of thoughts for the future and about the paradigms that
>companies and development within those companies follow.
>
>On a similar note, the IBM stand were very friendly, and we had a good
>chuckle when the "glitch free" websphere system crashed when it tried to
>find my birth records.. highly amusing!
>
>There were, as expected, a large number of people who have designed
>gui's for basic functions there. But if they can provide the service,
>why not!
>

>Had a supreme success of Annoying the OpenBSD person (don't think he was
>fond of me..) something to do with not disclosing vulnerabilities in an
>Open OS.
>
>The only down sides to the day were that coffee wasnt cheap and that
>some of the people on various stands could have done with not being
>salesmen so much as engineers or "techies". It was also a shame that not
>all of the representatives of the Free software foundation and other
>sections around the .org village were coherent. Some of them however
>were extremely positive.
>

>Throughly enjoyed it.

Some of them were techies. I spent about 25 minutes talking to a guy on=20
one of the smaller stands about web application development. Completely=20
failed to try and sell me any product (Macromedia Coldfusion MX) but=20
spent a lot of time telling me about a development technique called=20
fusebox. Sounded interesting. I'm going to have to try and find time to=20
look it up
--=20
Dave Addison

--=_Turnpike_NzgRWADZpJ$+4LIs=