[Gloucs] Linux (et al) Certifications

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat May 10 13:09:01 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 14:52, Dave Elliott wrote:
[snip]
> -----
> MySQL    - not Linux but clearly related for many people.

I found this if it's of any use, with regards to MySQL.
http://www.trainingpages.net/x/category.html?kw=366
but they all seem to be introductory or 3-5 day courses rather than
qualifications.

LPI exams are $100 each with two exams per level (eg level 1 certified
is 101 and 102 exam, level2..) I haven't seen a price here but I guess
it's roughly £70?

>   Any personal interest in sharing experience or obtaining training.
>   (I noted comments at the last meeting about local college arranging
> something for autumn onwards - does this have a qualification side or
> will it be just an 'introduction' or similar?)

If you're on about Gloscat, it's going to be a college certificate which
means there's no set qualification. If you're reasonably happy using
Linux you might find that the intended level is below you. The Linux for
beginner course is for people who have basically never installed it
before, whereas the more advanced course will be roughly similar to
parts of the LPI101 (eg unix command line basics) with some GUI related
lessons. That's my understanding anyway but there'll be better details
closer to the time.

All the current BND and HNC/D Computing students get to install Linux
and use MySQL. From what I hear they'll be specific modules on PHP/MySQL
for them next year too.

The Glos. Uni might do something similar? (John?)

hope it helps
Guy