[Gloucs] Linux (et al) Certifications

Mark gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat May 10 08:02:00 2003

Well, as I've done the SAIR qualifications ill give my thoughts on
those:

Some of them are fine, the level 1 (for LCA) stuff is great as a place
marker and I think that the networking level 1 section is impressive
(its about double the thickness of in some books compared to the other 3
parts of level 1).

Definatly has a nice dose of relevance to the "real world" (wish I knew
where that was!)

Cant say that I have had to look elsewhere for training as I had the
advantage of getting in-house Q&A. But i hear that it's fairly easy to
find suitable training.

cost of the SAIR quals isnt too bad, but prices vary depdning on who you
go through.. I think that prometric and whoever the other folks were had
a 50% cost difference when I sat mine a while back..

LCE elective modules and one "core" module, all good fun really..could
maybe do with a wider scope but otherwise nothing that anyone who's
wanting to get the cert should find a challenge.

the RHCE is overpriced I'll admit however you get to use the name and
company image. Therefore you are paying for more than just a
certification really, the same came with MS when (sorry to admit) I had
a few windows 2k certs.. overpriced but you pay for the people who your
trying to work for seeing that "oh he has <insert global brand here>
certification" the same goes for HP.

the RH certs are good by all accounts (as you'd expect) and nice hard
work.

well, 8am.. need coffee,

regards,

Mark