[Gloucs] Eeeek -help with e2fsck please

Richard Mellersh gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat May 17 10:55:00 2003

Hi,
After rearanging some hardware, I just used the ex-boot disk (a SCSI 2GB
Quantum haning from an NCR 83...controller)
in another system as the third SCSI drive (now on a aha1542) it is not
at the end of the chain, it is not terminated, it is id 3
and it is reported correctly by the SCSI BIOS on reboot.

I started the system in mode 3 modprobed the aha1542 as usual and
fdisked it, removing all the partitions (swap included) I created a
single partion ext2 and w'ed out of fdisk.  I then did "mkfs -t ext2
/dev/sdc" and restarted the system.

I re-ran modprobe ans as soon as I tried to acces the drive with "mount
-a" (already prepared fstab) it hung.  I tried this several times with a
variety of commands: all requiring a hard reset to get the system back
(no amount of "killing" would
work).

So now I have tried "e2fsck -cvf /dev/sdc1" - that was at 16:00 Friday -
it is now 10:40 Saturday and it's STILL GOING
reporting -

"Checking for bad blocks (read-only test):        _
42144            514072"

Surely it can't take this long?  It's only about 22 percent through?

Any ideas?

Richard Mellersh