[Gloucs] Re: [OxLUG] Eeeek -help with e2fsck please

Dave Addison gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat May 17 12:14:00 2003

This is a PGP signed message sent according to RFC3156 [PGP/MIME]

--=_Turnpike_ObfRsnDdjhx+4L7K=

In message <3EC605B8.15196CE0@the-sett.nildram.co.uk>, Richard Mellersh=20
<Richard@the-sett.nildram.co.uk> writes
>Hi,
>After rearanging some hardware, I just used the ex-boot disk (a SCSI 2GB
>Quantum haning from an NCR 83...controller)
>in another system as the third SCSI drive (now on a aha1542) it is not
>at the end of the chain, it is not terminated, it is id 3
>and it is reported correctly by the SCSI BIOS on reboot.
>
>I started the system in mode 3 modprobed the aha1542 as usual and
>fdisked it, removing all the partitions (swap included) I created a
>single partion ext2 and w'ed out of fdisk.  I then did "mkfs -t ext2
>/dev/sdc" and restarted the system.
>
>I re-ran modprobe ans as soon as I tried to acces the drive with "mount
>-a" (already prepared fstab) it hung.  I tried this several times with a
>variety of commands: all requiring a hard reset to get the system back
>(no amount of "killing" would
>work).
>
>So now I have tried "e2fsck -cvf /dev/sdc1" - that was at 16:00 Friday -
>it is now 10:40 Saturday and it's STILL GOING
>reporting -
>
>"Checking for bad blocks (read-only test):        _
>42144            514072"
>
>Surely it can't take this long?  It's only about 22 percent through?
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Richard Mellersh

If you look at the dmesg output on another console is it reporting SCSI=20
bus problems?
--=20
Dave Addison

--=_Turnpike_ObfRsnDdjhx+4L7K=