[Gloucs] Mandrake - THANK YOU

Richard Mellersh gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue May 20 19:18:00 2003

I did kind of ask this question a while ago but got no replies.

BUT now - at last - a distro that recognises my strange hardware -
Mandrake 9.1 courtesy of LXF

It's taken a few days but I'm getting the hang of it.

I have a few queries and wonder if anyone can shed some light?

1. My m/board is a Supermicro P6DBS with twin slot 1 P3-450 CPU's
    and on-board uw SCSI, I have two drives attached
        A seagate 18GB and an IBM 18GB (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb)
    I have 2 AGP graphic cards and have tried them both,
    first the Matrox G400 16MB second the ATI Radeon 32 MB
    The system (having installed with the SMP kernel - 2.4.21 I think)
    will only run "framebuffer" mode for both - SLOW

2. I have established - purely subjectively - that any kind of disk
access
    takes the most frightfull amount of time in addition to the graphics
speed
    and the aparent slow way that the CPU's run. It's even slower than a

    P1 Celeron 333 but not as slow as the system I'm currently forced to
use
    - a P1-200 running RH7.1

Does anyone have any ideas on how to optimise for speed?  Or is it just
the SMP kernel not quite ready for use?

Thanks
Richard Mellersh