[Gloucs] books

Iain Calder iain.calder at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 20:15:05 GMT 2003

Guy Edwards wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 00:00, Iain Calder wrote:
>[snip]
>

>>Any LDAP questions please feel free to ask as I've been doing quite a
>>bit of work with it recently.
>>

>Would that be with Squid web cache access by any chance? Or with Samba
>or Apache at all? (warning: whole tidal wave of questions brimming)

Afraid not, it's virtual email accounts, using Postfix/Courier-IMAP and
openldap.  The project included some custom LDAP schema modifications,
which are not very difficult, but I've still got a bit of work to do
optimising the BDB backend for openldap and getting replication set up.

I do need to look at Samba 3 soon though, with a view to getting it
working with MS active directory and possibly LDAP.

>Talking of Squid, do you use it at all at your work? And do you use any
>kind of load balancing with Squid?

I've not got any experience with Squid, it's not used at work as far as
I know.

>I'd like it so that if I had more than one squid server on a network,
>the load gets distributed between them, and if one dies the others keep
>going without anything stopping. I'd also like to be able to add another
>squid machine in at a later date and have it join in with the ones
>already present without having to start/stop configure much.
>
>(This was originally a question but in the course of writing this email
>I think I've found my answers.)
>
>Just Googling about, I saw the Linux Virtual Server project which seems
>to do the load balancing between the squid cache machines and there's a
>tutorial that shows how to control the squid boxes with more than one
>LVS box using heartbeats in case one dies.
>http://www.ultramonkey.org/papers/lvs_tutorial/html/
>The same tutorial shows using a program to check if the squid boxes are
>alive and update the LVS machines directing tables to reflect it.
>
>Is this how you'd do it or are there better ways?

I've not played with Linux load balancing at all, the solutions I've
seen have used commercial firewall/load balancing boxes from Allot and
BigIP.  BigIP in particular seems to work very well for load balancing.

Iain