[Gloucs] GNU/Linux User & Developer magazine

Francis Barton fbarton at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 14 00:21:25 GMT 2003

The latest issue has arrived (2 copies of) including OpenBSD on 2 CDs therewith.

Will try to make the mtg next Tuesday and if anyone wants to have a copy of the mag and/or CDs they can have them (last month's too).

(Guy can you bring the Slackware 9.1 CD with you if it worked ok please?)

Have just tried out Red Hat 9 and it is pretty good, really nice GUI and fonts etc. OpenOffice.org is integrated and also good hardware/network config tools with pretty pictures  - great for newbies.

And another thing...

Networking, right... Do you just connect up two machines with a crossover cable and tell them their IPs, like oi you you're going to be 192.169.0.1 and that one over there is going to be 192.168.0.2 and wait for them to talk to each other?

I guess it's more complicated than that. Do I have to do something clever with NFS for them to read each other? Also do they have to somehow broadcast their IPs and if so how do I make them do that? Help for this networking newbie appreciated please.

Cheers guys,
something for everyone in there...

Francis.

Have got that on 3 CDs if anyone wants it. Just shout.