[Gloucs] SuSE 8.1

Paul Broadhead lug at twinmoons.clara.co.uk
Sat Nov 22 21:03:17 GMT 2003

jim_ashford at lineone.net wrote:

> Does any one know how to start the gnome 2 desktop in SuSE 8.1, it's
> not that dont like KDE, I do, it's just, that I thought I would see
> how the other half live.

I don't use KDE or SUSE but no-one else has offered help so I'll give it
a try.  If you are using a login manager like kdm then, if it's anything
like the gnome equivalent gdm, there is an option under the session menu
to login using an alternative desktop.  Once logged in, there is also a
tool under gnome called the desktop switcher that allows you to your
default desktop.  Another option might be your $HOME/.xinitrc while I
don't know much about that, a quick google shows its a possible
solution.

Regards,
Paul