[Gloucs] scsi/ide burner

Guy Edwards guy_j_edwards at HotPOP.com
Sun Nov 30 16:38:33 GMT 2003

Hi,

I installed Debian last week, from CD and I've got a problem with the CD
drive now...

$> mount /cdrom
mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

It's an IDE drive that usually uses the scsi emulation (so it used to
appear as a scsi drive under Mandrake). I've got 2 scsi hard drives on
an adaptec card and the IDE cdrom drive hooked up as the master on the
primary ide channel.

I found this post:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200102/msg02976.html

As it described in that post, I tried adding
append="hda=ide-scsi" in lilo.conf
but had no luck so I tried
options ide-cd ignore=hda       # tell the ide driver to keep off
in modules.conf.

..but still no joy. Just for sanity: there is definatly a cd in the
drive and I've tried different cds.

tried the following (/dev/cdrom just pointed to /dev/hda when I looked)
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hda /cdrom
mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /cdrom
mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom

In /proc/devices it showes

Block devices:
  1 ramdisk
  8 sd
 65 sd
 66 sd

so that's two scsi drives and a pretend-scsi cdrom drive? or am I
reading that wrong?

/proc/scsi/scsi just shows the two scsi hard drives.

anyone got any ideas? have I done something daft?

Thanks,

Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards at HotPOP.com>