[Gloucs] local linux evening courses [gloscat spam]

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 18 23:45:01 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 22:40, paul cooke wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2003 8:38 pm, Guy Edwards wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anyone who remembers the post at the end of this one, this is just an
> > update.
> >
> > Basically, because of the funding criteria the Linux course has been
> > placed under, there has to be a minimum of 18 students on the course
> > before it will start. It's hard enough getting 18 people to attend a
> > GLUG meeting, so finding 18 beginners is difficult.
> >
> > Currently they've got about 12 people signed up and they're waiting to
> > get more.
>
> me thinks I'll sign up...
>
> is this 12 people signed up for the Intro course or the Further Linux
> course???
>
> They also do an On-Line distance learning thingy for the LPIC101 syllabus

I thought Further Linux has only 4 signed up at the moment (I don't know for sure),
BUT it's designed so that people from the beginners course should find it a
good progression onto the advanced course. e.g. It's thought from similar courses
that a lot of the people from the earlier, lower level course will decide to
continue onto the next higher level course when their study finishes.

The On-line distance learning is available. I haven't seen the course material, but
I've taken a couple of the other courses. I took a Unix course originally which was very
poorly written - minor example:"type in the command to mount a:" but I'm currently
doing the Cisco CCNA distance course and that seems much much better.

If you can get to the college then I'd recommend the instructor led Linux courses
over the distance one as it's not going to be much more price wise and I suspect
you'll get much more from it by being able to ask questions etc. You also get to
break someone else's pc other than your own ;-)

Guy