[Gloucs] local linux evening courses [gloscat spam]

paul cooke gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 18 23:54:00 2003

On Thursday 18 September 2003 11:44 pm, Guy Edwards wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 22:40, paul cooke wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 September 2003 8:38 pm, Guy Edwards wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Anyone who remembers the post at the end of this one, this is just an
> > > update.
> > >
> > > Basically, because of the funding criteria the Linux course has been
> > > placed under, there has to be a minimum of 18 students on the course
> > > before it will start. It's hard enough getting 18 people to attend a
> > > GLUG meeting, so finding 18 beginners is difficult.
> > >
> > > Currently they've got about 12 people signed up and they're waiting to
> > > get more.
> >
> > me thinks I'll sign up...
> >
> > is this 12 people signed up for the Intro course or the Further Linux
> > course???
> >
> > They also do an On-Line distance learning thingy for the LPIC101 syllabus
>
> I thought Further Linux has only 4 signed up at the moment (I don't know
> for sure), BUT it's designed so that people from the beginners course
> should find it a good progression onto the advanced course. e.g. It's
> thought from similar courses that a lot of the people from the earlier,
> lower level course will decide to continue onto the next higher level
> course when their study finishes.
>
> The On-line distance learning is available. I haven't seen the course
> material, but I've taken a couple of the other courses. I took a Unix
> course originally which was very poorly written - minor example:"type in
> the command to mount a:" but I'm currently doing the Cisco CCNA distance
> course and that seems much much better.
>
> If you can get to the college then I'd recommend the instructor led Linux
> courses over the distance one as it's not going to be much more price wise
> and I suspect you'll get much more from it by being able to ask questions
> etc. You also get to break someone else's pc other than your own ;-)

the distance learning one was a sign up to a program where you could take any
of the other distance courses on that particular list free provided you did
them within 12 months of the original sign-up... this was because your
sign-up fee bought an access license for those 12 months.

So if there were other courses on the list you fancied it works out very
cheap.