[Gloucs] Intro

Christopher L Chatfield chris at airvost.com
Mon Aug 30 01:42:20 BST 2004

Hello,

Just joined the list and hope to meet you all sometime.
I live in Cheltenham but hope to be moving to Churchdown
before New Year.

I'm a relative newbie to linux and am self taught with
regard to computing in general.

I am married with 3 kids, and the late nights with
Mandrake and Debian don't help my memory as I enter
middle age. But I struggle on.

I am just setting out with c++, my only other
programming experience is with JavaScript
but I am fairly adept with html.

I am a rank amateur and expect to stay that way,
but I'm having alot of fun messing about with my boxes.

I wondered whether the gloucs lug would be interested
in an easy new project. The idea is simple, but could be
of use in extending linux use to those, like me, who
have little time, and only online support and education.

+++++++++++++

I have often felt that a friendlier  shell editor just
for newbies to do their configuration would be a nice thing.

Being a relative newbie I feel qualified to describe the type
of interface desirable.

The editor could be called "sedit" (s-imple edit -or)
when invoked a two pane screen appears.  The top pane
is one line in hight and the cursor is active there,
if one types a filename of an ascii file contained in
the directory the user was in when sedit was invoked,
the file contents is displayed in the second pane (the rest of
the screen) for editing.

Before the file is opened sedit displays the following
simple instructions.

            Simle EDITor
To open a file in the current directory enter its name.
Cursor Keys to Navigate the Document
Backspace to delete characters
F2 to save and exit
original file will be saved under old name with .bk extension
F3 to exit without saving

That's all, sedit!