[Gloucs] Intro

Francis Barton fbarton at fish.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 14:08:10 BST 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 01:42:21AM +0100, Christopher L Chatfield wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just joined the list and hope to meet you all sometime.
> I live in Cheltenham but hope to be moving to Churchdown
> before New Year.

Welcome to the list, Christopher. Hope we as a community can be of help
to you.

> I am married with 3 kids, and the late nights with
> Mandrake and Debian don't help my memory as I enter
> middle age. But I struggle on.

Keep going (with Debian anyway)!
(/me mutters something to himself about Mandrake...)

> I wondered whether the gloucs lug would be interested
> in an easy new project. The idea is simple, but could be
> of use in extending linux use to those, like me, who
> have little time, and only online support and education.

Not sure about this as an appropriate project for this sort of
community. There may be an individual in the LUG who is interested in
programming this sort of thing... in fact there is almost certainly
someone reading your email who could knock up such an editor in about
half an hour. But as a group project ... ??? maybe i suppose... what do
others think?

Have you thought about setting it up as a sourceforge.net project? If
you go there and search for editors you will almost certainly find that
someone has already created an editor similar to your sedit idea. Then
maybe you could adapt what they have done to your own liking. That's how
many free software projects proceed.

I use GNU nano as my text editor and I find that is really simple to use.
Pico is very similar. I can't cope with vi or emacs;-)! I occasionally
use gedit under GNOME if I want syntax highlighting eg when writing html.

HTH, sorry if I have missed the point of "sedit".
And once again welcome to the LUG.

Francis

--
I use Gentoo Linux atm, see http://www.gentoo.org/