[Gloucs] *** scanner

jim_ashford at lineone.net jim_ashford at lineone.net
Fri Feb 6 19:54:42 GMT 2004

That's all part of the fun!  Normally if it can work, you can get it to
work.  My limited experience with that other product laughingly called
an O
> is very different. If things don't work,  its very difficult to
fix. Things just break for no logical reason; may be because you
happened to install a totalled unrelated program, or other components in
the 'wrong' order.

> I was given a scanner
>or Christmas, and despite it being on the SuSE 9
> list of supported hardware it just will not work, needs a firmware update
> it says, so I went to the sane web site downloaded the correct firmware
> update, installed it where it said in the man pa
>es, and the ***** thing
> still wont work.
> O well, I will have to continue using it with Windows 2000.

Don't give up too easily, there's alway help at hand in the great Linux
community.  The first time I installed a scanner I was stumped until

someone told me that I had to enable the scanner device.  I had to
locate the config file for my scanner in /etc/sane.d and uncomment out
the line "usb /dev/usb/scanner0".  In my case this file was
/etc/sane.d/epson.conf.  My apologies if you have
>lready tried this.

In any case, if you post the details of the model etc, someone may be
able to help.

Regards,
Paul

Hi

Sorry for the wing.
I have not tried the things you sugest,I was not aware that you had to,this
one of the reasons that I am looking forward to the Linux lessons.
Thank you for the replie
Jim