[Gloucs] 2.6

Rob Saunders rob at saunders.yourideal.co.uk
Mon Feb 9 13:58:31 GMT 2004

I've been running 2.6.0 (on RH9) for about 6 weeks and find it "better"
than the previous versions of 2.4.20/21/23 that I had been running. That
said, in upgrading I had some fun with:

- I needed to upgrade some of my Gtk/glade libs (I seem to recall) so
that the make xconfig/gconfig configurators would work. - No big deal
it's fairly obvious what you need when it fails.
- the old rpm issue - rpm won't read the database and needs to be
rebuilt, only you can't 'cos rpm doesn't work... (a quick google will
get you around this)
- update the modprobe, lsmod, etc... with the module-init-tools (0.9.14).
- You might need to hack your /etc/rc.sysinit script or equivalent (the
old one will work, but one or two subtle tweaks for hotplugging/usb
won't go amiss)
- You might want to add an entry for /sys in your fstab file for the sysfs.
- Getting sound to work with the ALSA OSS emulation was fun, but I don't
know if that's important to you - again a quick google should sort you
out depending on what soundcard you've got.

Here are a couple of links in migrating to 2.6.0:

http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html

http://www.linux-sxs.org/upgrading/migration26.html

HTH

Rob