[Gloucs]SuSE and the Internet

andy ajteagu at 23er.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 18:40:25 BST 2004

jim_ashford at lineone.net wrote:
> Hi Guys
> I have just installed SUSE 9.1on my new AJP laptop (made by Clevo in Taiwan),
> and I am having trouble connecting to the Internet.
> SUSE 9.1 recognized my modem(Clevo/Kapoc Smart Link 56K Modem) with no problem,
> and installed the necessary software.
> I then entered my ISP details, user name and password, but when I try to
> connect to the Internet, I cannot make a connection.
> My configuration log says I have a device at /dev/ttySLO, but my connection
> log says the ppd[0] Failed to open /dev/ttySLO: No such device or address..

I assume that those are both 0 (zero) as opposed to O (capital oh)
both in the logs and config files

log could be mis-interpretting reason - ie could be permission denied?

who are you running as? who owns /dev/ttySL0?
I seem to remember at one point SuSE had the tty lines owned by 'dialer'
group and you had to be in that to use the modem

what are you actually using to dial?
wvdial, kdeppp, ...

which ISP?

> Now will I confess to being confused, surely I ether have a /dev/ttySLO
> or I do not, I am hoping somebody out there will have some idea of what
> is going on and how to fix it.

Sorry I can't be more specific but more details may help.

Andy