[Gloucs] Install day ideas

paul cooke paul.cooke100 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue May 4 14:32:22 BST 2004

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 11:56, Tom Walker wrote:
> Hi All,
> Here is a link to a short account of an install that has some
> similarities to the questions posed by the Install day.
>
> http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3213&page=2
> Quote "I debated with myself which version of Linux to install for them".
> Charles Williams
>
> To get the casual reader going I have skipped to page two as it seems
> most relevant.

doing Debian that way requires a good internet connection... modem won't cut
it... and each machine, unless you've got a local mirror available at the day
will involve at least 2 hours worth of download just for getting up with a
single "major" desktop manager and a minimum set of programs...

"Next, I explained to Diane that the entire system is configured by the files
found in the /etc directory, as I opened up the apt-sources list. I edited
the sources list to unstable and saved the file. I then had Diane sit at the
computer and type 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get dist-upgrade' into a
terminal, and explained that as long as she could type that, she could update
her system. She watched in amazement as almost the entire system on her
computer was updated and replaced. "

it's just as easy now with Mandrake 10 and URPMI... especially if you know
about using easyurpmi for setting your install sources...

ps has anyone got experience of making a Knoppix H/D install into a proper
working Debian install???