[Gloucs] Redhat 9 binary

Francis Barton fbarton at fish.co.uk
Thu May 6 13:18:41 BST 2004

Quoting Roy M <Roy at Farm3.demon.co.uk>:

> Hi all,
> I bought a Linux mag [don't know when there is no date on it, issue 33]
> anyway, on the front was a free Redhat ver 9 binary.

GNU/Linux User and Developer have recently included RH9 and Fedora Core 1 as 3-
CD cover-disk sets. FC1 is pretty much RH9 rebranded.

I would recommend either as a good distro for a "newbie" - and I have a spare
copy of the Fedora 3-CD set I could post to you if you email me your address
off-list.

Fedora worked really well for me and a good graphical installer and lots of GUI
config tools included. The set includes pretty much everything except source
RPMs and support for patented/restricted technologies such as mp3, DVD movie
playback etc. (these can be added by getting the RPMs at freshrpms.net anyway).

> I have just gotten around to installing it - with some little
> difficulty.

Congratulations.

> It seems to, a newbie like me, to have potential within the way I use a
> PC. I tried Mandrake, and have bought! M 10; but just cannot get the
> damn thing to install, anyway I ramble on.

It should do most things you could conceivably want to do with a home PC.
You might be able to flog M10 to someone for a few quid, or even better give it
away to a friend who hasn't used Linux yet!

> What I would like to know is, has anyone installed the redhat 9 binary
> and followed it up with a full prog purchase, if so did it install OVER
> the binary ? or does the binary have to be uninstalled first!

Yes, I have installed it. It is the "full program". All it lacks is the source
code (that comes on CDs 4-6) - hence "binary" aot source distribution.
No need to uninstall anything, binary is not an inferior or trial version. You
have misunderstood the terminology I fear.

Let us know how you get on with your newly-installed system. And if you only
have 1 CD then let me know I can get you the extra 2 CDs of software e.g. KDE,
OpenOffice.org etc.

Francis

Francis