[Gloucs] Hi

Mike mike at beaumonttravel.plus.com
Wed May 19 18:59:56 BST 2004

Hi

Just joined the Gloucestershire Linux Group.

Just to give you some background into me.  I am the managing director of Beaumont
Travel, Beaumont Properties and Gloucester Auto Services. All based in
Gloucester.  I'm technically aware but not an expert in anything by a long way -
BUT I do understand the business benefit of self developed software.  I have a
rack of  linux servers (and 1 Windows server) which runs all of the software to
run my businesses.  All of the software has been written in-house by my
development staff.

All of our code is based on the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) environment.

I'm interested in making sure that [a] I am always kept abreast of new technology
as it occurs so that I can take advantage of it from a business perspective [b]
my guys are continually "plugged in" to creative talent (such as the people on
this mailing list) and [c] I can put something back into the community relating
to the stuff we have learnt implementing Linux in a business environment.

Stuff we have done which caused us a lot of pain but has been worthwhile :-) are:-

[1] Built our internal software platform
[2] Implemented wifi based web cams for securing premises
[3] Implemented GPS tracking solution for real time multi-vehicle environment

Currently trying to:-

[4] Implement PBX Caller-ID solution to interact with MySQL DB for realtime DB
driven popus in Linux
[5] Implement SMTP email server with spam / virus protection at our end
[6] Implement motion detection on WiFi Web cams to alert through SMS etc..

What we have learnt:-

[1] The easiest solutions is not always the best solution.  If it was I would
have MS software all over the place.
[2] Linux on the desktop still has a number of significant limitations.

I can't see any information on the website re: the next meeting. Is this
currently known?

Regards

Mike

--