[Gloucs] Seti@home tweaks??

Guy Edwards guy_j_edwards at hotpop.com
Sat Nov 27 11:35:52 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 22:02, Paul Cooke wrote:
[snip]
> I just wonder how many computers have been worn out before their time from
> having seti run on them while "idle".

http://www.bitenbyte.com/seti/setifaq.html#Section_2.18

Although having posted that link, I seem to remember a story in the
press about a year ago of a sys admin sacked because he ran seti on all
the company machines in the night. They argued that the admin had
reduced the life of their machines and was using company power. Seem to
remember I got the impression they were just upset that he hadn't asked
permission first.

If I was going to do anything like that it'd probably be one of the
medical related research clients, like the cancer related ones or the
virus dna unfolding clients. I'd put forward a case to the managers, get
permission, make sure it ran at night and use it as some form of PR
(it's demonstrating distributed computing/helping the community etc) so
that you've got a legitimate purpose in the event of political unrest.
I'd also check other things, like if you have a room full of P4's going
full pelt then it's going to start getting quite warm.

I don't see many computers wear out where I am, I think most machines
will have been upgraded before they start having processors fail. In 2
years with ~50-60 machines a network card has died, 2 power supplies and
2 monitors, all other damage has been people making mistakes rebuilding
machines or dropping parts.