[Gloucs] X over SSH

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Tue Oct 19 20:47:03 BST 2004

Around 08:16pm on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 (UK time), Paul Cooke scrawled:

> has anyone got any successful experience of running X apps over ssh. I'm
> particularly interested in running KDE apps such as kmail and knode without
> having to run the entire desktop over SSH and not running using VNC (which I
> can currently do, but it requires me accepting the connection at the other
> machine).

I have done it with no real difficulty.  I'd check that you can ssh into
the machine as normal, i.e. command line first just to make sure you can
get in.

Then just:

	ssh 192.168.1.2 kmail

assuming you have an account on the other machine with the same
username.  It should prompt you for the password.

Cheers

Steve

--

(o<     www.stevesearle.com