[Gloucs] X over SSH

Rayner rayner at anarres-worlds.org
Tue Oct 19 20:41:48 BST 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Paul Cooke wrote:

> has anyone got any successful experience of running X apps over ssh. I'm
> particularly interested in running KDE apps such as kmail and knode without
> having to run the entire desktop over SSH and not running using VNC (which I
> can currently do, but it requires me accepting the connection at the other
> machine).

Yeah, I'm doing it at the moment (only an xterm and an xclock,
admittedly, but still). You need to specify the -X (allow X11
forwarding) option to ssh, if you don't have the ForwardX11 variable
set to 'yes' in /etc/ssh/ssh_config.

You shouldn't need to set $DISPLAY (ssh sets this up automatically -
see the "X11 and TCP forwarding" section in the ssh manpage for
exactly what it does). You are also supposed to be able to get away
without fiddling with your ~/.Xauthority file, although I think I
vaguely remember having to mung mine to get it working properly.

Rayner

--
And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine               -- William Wordsworth