[Gloucs] X over SSH

Paul Cooke paul.cooke100 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 19 21:04:09 BST 2004

On Tuesday 19 October 2004 20:36, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 08:16:48PM +0100, Paul Cooke wrote:
> > has anyone got any successful experience of running X apps over ssh. I'm
>
> You fail to mention which distro you use, although it won't matter
> really. I use debian and as such, on the *server* you need to configure
> it to allow X11forwarding. Now by default, this is disabled. But editing
> the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file is not a problem.
>
> In there, you'll find a line thus:
>
> ``
> X11Forwarding no
> ''

already set on both machines Suse 9.1 and Mandrake 9.2

> You should ensure this is set to "yes". When that's done, save the file,
> restart the ssh deamon, and that's it.
>
> On the client, to be able to run X11 apps from on the ssh-server, you
> must tell it you want to use X11 forwarding, hence:
>
> ssh -X myserver
      ^^

BINGO... the missing piece... Cheers. The examples I found on the web in mini
howtos etc. made no mention of the -X switch.

> Which will then automatically create the necessary MIT-cookie magic that
> is ~/.Xauthority on the server. Et voila. You can type away in the
> ssh window and have these apps popup.
>
> That does answer your question, yes?

Oh yes indeedy :)

> -- Thomas Adam

now if only I can get the IT dept at work to let me install cygwin and a
ms-windows based X-server... and then I've just got the problemette of
punching a tunnel through both firewalls...